God, it's been quite a hot summer here. Temps at times climbed up to 120 and beyond. 110 was almost normal and there were very few days under 100. Don't believe it when people say it's alway 70 degrees and beautiful here in Southern California, only a select and wealthy few can afford to live by the beach where it's more or less like that all the time.
Let's pour some gas on the fire with some hot tunes...
1. Some Like it Hot - Robert Palmer. I don't, summer just wears me down, but I do love me some Robert Palmer. The late blues singer could make anything sound good, even sweating it out to this intense heat. Sadly, Mr. Palmer died of cardiac arrest in Paris back in 2003.
2. Summertime Blues - The Who. Eddie Cochran did the original but I'm going with the Who for this one about having to spend your summer vacation hustling up a dollar instead of heading to the beach with your friends.
3. Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful. Before crafting the theme for "Welcome Back Kotter," John Sebastian sang this song that makes you feel uncomfortably hot just listening to it. Good song but, ugh, hate the feeling of the back of my neck feeling hot and gritty.
4. Heatwave - Martha and the Vandellas. More like it, a good Motown song always feels better. I can imagine listening to this on a hot summer day, sipping a cold, sweet soda next to the pier.
5. Fire - Bruce Springsteen. The Pointer Sisters had the big hit with it but Bruce wrote it and this is an acoustic, bluesy and slow version that I love, although I do really like the sisters version too.
There, five songs to turn up the heat with. Hopefully, we'll have some cooler weather and great songs to go with that, too.
Stop by the Musick Channel Garage Sale to pick up your own copy of some of our classic vinyl LPs. Click on the link, above, for more.
Copyright 2018 - All Rights Reserved